Vista RC1 and Visual Studio Debugging

I have installed a Vista RC1 and Office 2007 Beta 2 on a new partition and am attempting to use it as my primary OS.  So far, so good.  It has come a long way since the first builds I started testing.  There’s certainly more work to be done, but it’s looking more and more like a final product.

On a tangent, symlinks are fantastic.  I know, welcome to UNIX circa 1985.  I am able to symlink my Firefox profile directory, Outlook config and .pst files, and a variety of other things from my XP parition to the Vista parition to share the data easily between the two operating systems.

But, I post to note a few quirks with Visual Studio 2005 and debugging web applications.  By default, I was getting lots of errors about authentication, not being able to debug, and a host of other things.  The fix was quite simple.

1) In the “Internet Options” control panel, go to the Security tab.  Add “http://localhost” to your list of “Trusted Sites”
2) Again, for “Trusted Sites”, clilck the “Custom Level…” button.  Change the value of User Authentication to “Automatic login with current username and password”.
3) In the new IIS manager, ensure that the web application directory is both:
    a) in the “Classic .NET AppPool”.
    b) has “Windows Authentication” enabled in the Authentication section.

Voila.  Debugging without issue on the server.

YMMV, of course.  Note that I’m running with <gasp!> UAC turned off.